What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a root replacement that replicates the root portion of a missing natural tooth. Because of the compatibility of the implant with the bone, a process called osseointegration, a dental implant fuses with the bone and becomes the anchor for the replacement tooth. Dental Implants can be used to replace a single tooth or multiple missing teeth.
There are many reasons with you should consider a dental implant:
- Without the root structure of a natural tooth present, the jawbone will shrink. This shrinkage will make your face look older than it is.
- There are no loose parts to worry about moving or slipping. The dental implants are stable and comfortable. Normally, it will serve its owner for life.
- Missing teeth lead to an unattractive smile, embarrassment from loose dentures and pain or difficulty eating.
- Traditional dentistry can provide replacements for missing teeth using bridges, removable partials and dentures, however, each of these has its problems. Bridgework usually involves altering teeth to provide a stable foundation for support of missing teeth. Partials and dentures can, at times, be very unstable leading to sores and speech difficulties.
- Dental Implants prevent bone resorption and bone loss that follows tooth loss
- Dental Implants protect the jaw bone from bone loss, protects the adjacent healthy teeth and allows you to maintain a more youthful natural look.
What is the success of dental implants?
With more than fifty years of clinical experience and over a million patients treated, statistics have confirmed a success rate of 95% for individual dental implants, and even higher for the bridges they support. Implants provide an effective long-term solution to the problem of tooth loss. If you take care of your teeth and maintain good oral health, then there is no reason your implants shouldn’t last a lifetime. This makes dental implants a wise decision and an efficient long-term solution.
The following are some benefits of Dental Implants:
- Dental implant replacement teeth look, feel and function like natural teeth.
- Sense of taste and consequently, appetite improve with dental implants.
- Dental Implants maintain a youthful, attractive smile.
- The ability to chew without pain or gum irritation is restored with dental implants.
- Dental implants reduce or eliminate bone shrinkage commonly associated with loss of teeth.
- With dental implants there is no worry of teeth slipping as with removable dentures or partials.
Dr. Rasmussen Answers Commonly Asked Questions Related to Dental Implants
What Our Patients Are Saying:
“I am a long time patient of Dr. Rasmussen and have very complicated dental needs. She is a true expert, problem-solving and coming up with solutions that other dentists would not have been able to even consider. Her work is impeccable and she always takes the time to make sure the work is exactly right. Her staff is excellent, with Sonja the creative temporary crown maker and assistant extraordinaire, and Alexis the hygienist, who will have you clean in no time and smiling along the way. I cannot recommend this practice strongly enough — no other dentist will ever touch my teeth!” – Madrone J.
Dr. Angela Rasmussen has over 34 years experience of providing high-quality implant dentistry. Please contact our Tampa practice for a consultation to see how dental implants can benefit you.