A dental implant is a root replacement that replicates the root portion of a missing natural tooth. Because of the compatibility of the implant with the bone, a process called osseointegration, a dental implant fuses with the bone and becomes the anchor for the replacement tooth. Dental Implants can be used to replace a single tooth or multiple missing teeth.
There are many reasons with you should consider a dental implant:
- Without the root structure of a natural tooth present, the jawbone will shrink. This shrinkage will make your face look older than it is.
- There are no loose parts to worry about moving or slipping. The dental implants are stable and comfortable. Normally, it will serve its owner for life.
- Missing teeth lead to an unattractive smile, embarrassment from loose dentures and pain or difficulty eating.
- Traditional dentistry can provide replacements for missing teeth using bridges, removable partials and dentures, however each of these has it’s problems. Bridgework usually involves altering teeth to provide a stable foundation for support of missing teeth. Partials and dentures can, at times, be very unstable leading to sores and speech difficulties.
- Dental Implants prevent bone resorption and bone loss that follows tooth loss
- Dental Implants protect the jaw bone from bone loss, protects the adjacent healthy teeth and allows you to maintain a more youthful natural look.
What is the success of dental implants?
With more that fifty years of clinical experience and over a million patients treated, statistics have confirmed a success rate of 95% for individual dental implants, and even higher for the bridges they support. Implants provide an efficient long-term solution to the problem of tooth loss. If you take care for your teeth and maintain good oral health, then there is no reason your implants shouldn’t last a lifetime. This makes dental implants a wise decision and an efficient long term solution.
In summary, the following are some benefits of Dental Implants:
- Dental implant replacement teeth look, feel and function like natural teeth.
- Sense of taste and consequently, appetite improve with dental implants.
- Dental Implants maintain a youthful, attractive smile.
- The ability to chew without pain or gum irritation is restored with dental implants.
- Dental implants reduce or eliminate bone shrinkage commonly associated with loss of teeth.
- With dental implants there is no worry of teeth slipping as with removable dentures or partials.
Dr. Angela Rasmussen has over 34 years experience of providing high-quality implant dentistry. Please contact us for a consultation to see how dental implants can benefit you.