If you have healthy gums, the gum tissues will appear pink in color and firm to the touch. However, you may notice swollen, puffy, tender, and red gum tissues if you have unhealthy gums. You may also notice painful or bleeding gums. When flossing and brushing your teeth, a healthy gum tissue will not bleed. Approximately 8 out of 10 adults in America have some form of periodontal disease, as reported by the World Health Organization (WHO). Painful gums and bleeding around a tooth may indicate gum disease. Other signs that might be noticeable include receding gums, loose teeth, and bad breath (halitosis). The team at Gentle Dentistry in Tampa, Florida, can help evaluate your gums and recommend treatment options for problematic gums.
WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON CAUSES OF BLEEDING GUMS?
- Blood thinners
- Hormonal changes (such as pregnancy and menopause)
- Inflammation resulting from bacterial plaque around the teeth and gum line
- Vitamin K deficiency
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO ADDRESS PAINFUL, BLEEDING GUMS?
Professionals refer to the connection between the health of the mouth and your overall health as the oral-systemic connection. Specific types of bacteria in the mouth can cause chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation is linked with conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, and complications during pregnancy.
METHODS OF PREVENTING AND REDUCING BLEEDING GUMS
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Changing bacterial composition with oral probiotics
- Establish a healthy smile with baseline tests, including salivary diagnostics
- Floss the teeth at least once daily
- Consider low-level hydrogen peroxide treatments using customized trays
- Visit Gentle Dentistry a minimum of two times a year
HOW TO TREAT GUM DISEASE
Here at Gentle Dentistry, Drs. Angela Rasmussen and Amanda del Cueto of Tampa, Florida, can effectively treat gum inflammation and infection through a variety of methods:
- Salivary Diagnostics
- Prophylaxis Cleaning (Basic Cleaning)
- Periodontal SRP Therapy (Periodontal Therapy Cleaning)
- Periodontal Maintenance (Maintenance for Perio Patients)
- Oral Probiotics
The only way to treat gum disease and stop your gums from bleeding is by seeking professional treatment. Call (813) 734-7102 today to schedule your dental cleaning at Gentle Dentistry of Tampa, FL.
Drs. Angela Rasmussen and Amanda del Cueto can assist you with general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry solutions at the office.