Jaw pain is a condition that can negatively impact your daily life, as the jaw is involved in regular activities such as talking, chewing, and yawning. By working with our team at Gentle Dentistry in Tampa, Florida, to discuss your symptoms, we can assist you in finding treatment solutions for jaw pain, headaches, and clicking that can happen with conditions such as TMD.
The most common reason for jaw pain is a condition known as temporomandibular joint disorder or TMD. These are disorders of both the jaw muscles and joints. TMD might result from injuries to the jaw, conditions such as arthritis, or even genetics. TMD is found to affect over 10% of the US adult population.
ALTERNATIVE CAUSES OF TMJ AND JAW PAIN
- OSA OR UARS (Sleep-disordered breathing conditions)
- Increased levels of stress
- Bruxism, causing clenching and grinding of the teeth
- Cluster or tension headaches
SYMPTOMS OF TMJ OR TMD
- Pain in or around the ear
- Grating or clicking sounds when moving the jaw (chewing or speaking)
- Difficulty or pain when you chew
- Chronic facial pains
- Misalignment of either the upper or lower jaw
- Muscle soreness of neck, head, and face
- Tenderness in the jaw
- Locking of the jaw
WHAT QUESTIONS MIGHT BE ASKED DURING A JAW SCREENING?
Drs. Angela Rasmussen and Amanda del Cueto of Gentle Dentistry may ask questions like:
- Do you experience neck pains or headaches
- Do you wake up not feeling well-rested
- Do you find that you have high stress levels
- Is this a new or recurring issue
- When did you first notice your symptoms
In addition to these commonly asked questions, our professional team will also thoroughly examine your temporomandibular joint and the muscles of the head and neck. Drs. Angela Rasmussen and Amanda del Cueto may also perform a full intraoral exam to check for any other possible contributing factors that might be present.
While a few specific anti-inflammatory medicines are available over the counter, which can significantly reduce your discomfort and swelling, our dental team typically encourages patients to get a thorough dental examination before starting self-medication.
JAW PAIN TREATMENT SOLUTIONS AND TMJ OPTIONS
Depending on the unique symptoms you experience, treatment for these conditions can vary based on the severity of the problems encountered. Some of our team’s suggestions may include:
- An improved self-care regimen
- Muscle spasm relief regimen
- Occlusal guards
- Home sleep test
- Oral appliance therapy for better sleep
Home Sleep Test
Sleep Appliance Therapy
REACH OUT TO OUR TEAM TODAY TO LEARN MORE
If you are experiencing any of these jaw pain symptoms, call the team of Gentle Dentistry at (813) 734-7102 to schedule your evaluation at our Tampa, FL area office today.